MEMBERSHIP & REQUIREMENTS
Membership in Holley-Riddle Post 21
Membership in the American Legion is based on honorable service with the U. S. Armed Forces.
Thanks to the LEGION Act (Let Everyone Get Involved in Opportunities for National Service Act), Congress expanded the eligibility period to cover Dec. 7, 1941, to the present, and includes the current war campaigns. Previously, there were seven declared war periods. Now there are two, the current war period dating back to World War II and another war era covering World War I. Because eligibility dates remain open, all members of the U.S. Armed Forces are eligible to join The American Legion at this time, until the date of the end of hostilities as determined by the government of the United States.
If you have served at least one day of active military duty since December 7,1941 and were honorably discharged or you are still serving active military duty honorably, you are eligible for membership with The American Legion.
IMPORTANT: EVERYONE MUST SUBMIT A COPY OF
DD 214 OR DISCHARGE, or You can go to archives.gov/veterans to request another copy of your discharge papers. A copy of orders putting you on federal active duty can be used as proof of eligibility as well.
Eligible veterans applying for first time membership must provide the following information:
- Complete an American Legion Membership application.
- Provide a copy of their DD214 or discharge.
- Pay yearly membership dues. Dues currently are $41.00 annually and can be paid at the Post via cash, check or credit/debit card.
Veterans applying for transfers from their current Post to our Post must submit the following:
- Completed Member Data Form – see Adjutant for this form.
- Copy of their DD214 or discharge.
- Copy of their American Legion membership card.
- If current year dues are paid, no additional payment is required until the next membership year. If current year’s dues are not paid, they must be paid during the transfer process.